Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Entry # 3 Children in the classroom with learning disabilities

            While visiting the sixth grade class I have attended a couple times. I noticed that there was a child in the class who had an extremely hard time listing. I was there for a couple hours and he had gotten into trouble at least ten different times. I kept thinking to myself , "why doesn't he just listen, does he want to get into trouble". When the kids took a short break and got into their groups I asked the teacher about the student, I asked him if he gets into trouble like that often? The teacher responded by saying " yes, absolutely".
            He explained to me that every day the child gets into trouble and need to write his name onto the board. He often misses out on reses . He explained to me that his parents don't really seem to respond to the fact that he is getting into trouble. They seem as if they don't really care and kind of shrug it of, as if it's not a big deal. As I continued to watch the student he kept getting into trouble. He was extremely wiggly he would pay attention. He would talk to other kids, lean back into his chair and laugh out loud. earlier the teacher had explained to me that he believes that the child has an extreme case of ADD. Which I kind of figured is why he was so wiggly.
            The teacher, after having to tell the student over and over to stop, finally just sent him out of the classroom and sent him to the principles office. The child never did come back and I assumed that he just ended up going home. But I couldn't help but think of what he must of been thinking. His parents don't really care and the teacher just kicks him out when he sick of him. I felt really sad for the child I wondered how he would ever learn. It made me realize that I can't wait to be a teacher. I want to give the students a chance, I want to be a teacher who actually makes and impact on a child's life. rather than dismissing them when I get annoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment